KERSHAW CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION Visitor Information & Inmate Locator- Prison Inmate Search



4848 Gold Mine Highway, Kershaw, South Carolina 29067

Phone :
(803) 896-3301/(803) 475-5770
Website :
Inmate Locator :
Security Level :


1. How do I apply for visiting privileges?

Read the following information carefully.
If the inmate wants you to visit, he or she will send you a Form 19-127, "Request for Visiting Privileges." Only inmates are authorized to provide an application.
FULLY complete the Form 19-27 that is provided to you by the inmate and return it by mail to the Central Visitation Center (CVC). The address for the CVC is located on the top right of the "Request for Visiting Privileges" form. If you should need additional Form 19-127s in the future, you may obtain them from the inmate you wish to visit.
If you do not provide all requested information, the form will be rejected. If the "Request for Visiting Privileges" cannot be processed because it is incomplete or because you have provided an incorrect inmate name or inmate number (the identification number assigned to the inmate by the South Carolina Department of Corrections), it will be returned to you, if the address on the form is complete. A parent, legal guardian, or other adult may assist a child in completing the form; however, only a parent or legal guardian will be permitted to sign this form.

2. How will I be notified if I am approved to visit?

The inmate is responsible for notifying visitors once they have been approved. (NOTE: Any subsequent change to the information on your original application (address, name, phone number, etc.) must be submitted in writing to the CVC in order to be updated or the visitation privileges may be revoked. Disapproved applicants will be notified by the Inspector General's Officer or CVC Supervisor.

3. Why would I be denied visiting privileges?
You may be denied visiting privileges for any of the following reasons:
Providing false information on the "Request for Visiting Privileges."
If you are a former inmate, you may be denied visiting if the Department considers you to be a threat to the safe and secure operation of the institution. Former inmates may be approved to visit only if they are a member of the inmate's immediate family** except for in-laws. In any case, former inmates will not be allowed visiting privileges until at least one year after they are released from the South Carolina Department of Corrections or any other correctional facility and the respective Warden approves their request.
If you are a former South Carolina Department of Corrections employee, contract employee, or volunteer who worked within a South Carolina Department of Corrections facility, you may be denied visiting privileges if during such employment, you violated any South Carolina Department of Corrections policy/procedure pertaining to employee/inmate relations to include sexual intercourse, sexual relations, dating, marrying, or otherwise establishing a personal relationship with an inmate and/or any person under the jurisdiction of the South Carolina Department of Corrections. In any case, former employees, contract employees, or volunteers who have terminated their employment with the Department within the last year prior to the date of the "Request for Visiting Privileges," will not be approved to visit. After one year, only members of an inmate's immediate family** (provided the former employee or contract employee did not become a member of the inmate's immediate family as a result of marrying him/her while incarcerated) will be considered.
Anyone may be disapproved if they pose a threat to the safe and secure operation of the institution.
Persons With Prior Convictions or Pending Criminal Charges may be permitted to visit; however, the following conditions must be met: Must be a member of the inmate's immediate family**. Must not be nor previously have been a co-defendant with the inmate on any criminal charges. Must provide information listing all past convictions or outstanding charges which are still active including the jurisdiction (city/county/state) where the warrants were signed or the indictments issued. Must answer accurately and truthfully all questions on SCDC Form 19-127, "Request for Visiting Privileges."
**Immediate Family refers to an inmate's mother, father, children (to include adopted), sister, brother, grandmothers, grandfathers, great-grandmothers, great-grandfathers, step grandparents, wife, husband, common-law spouse, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, stepbrothers, stepsisters, stepparents, foster parents, stepchildren, step grandchildren, half-brothers, half-sisters.

4. If I am approved, when and how often can I visit?

The number of visits that an inmate may receive each month is based on the inmate's security and custody level and may be further restricted by programming or by the inmate's behavior. The inmate will provide you with information about his or her visitation schedule, based on where he/she is housed.
Find Institution Information

5. Can children visit?

Yes, children can visit but only those specified below. The only minors who will be considered for inclusion on an inmate's approved visiting list are the inmate's brothers and sisters, the inmate's children (to include adopted), stepchildren, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and step-grandchildren; as shown on the inmate's relative list or verified by certified long-form birth certificates. A parent or legal guardian must assist the child in completing the "Request for Visiting Privileges." A parent or legal guardian must sign this form, and a parent, legal guardian, or authorized adult must accompany the child during the entire visit.

Nieces and nephews who are minors may be considered to visit, however, there are specific conditions which the inmate must meet in order to receive visits from nieces and nephews. Only the nieces and nephews of those inmates who meet ALL of the criteria listed below will be considered for addition to the respective visiting list:
Inmate must have been incarcerated for at least three (3) consecutive years.
Inmate may NOT have ever been convicted of a sex offense or disciplinary.
Inmate must have NO Major disciplinaries and/or NO More than two (2) minor disciplinary convictions within a three (3) year period.
Inmate must have been employed for a minimum of three (3) years.
The brother or sister, parent of the niece or nephew, must show on the inmate's relative screen and must submit a copy of the respective niece/nephew's long-form birth certificate for verification.

In addition, if any authorized adult, other than the parent or legal guardian, is to accompany a child who is on the inmate's approved list to visit an inmate, the parent or legal guardian must complete Form 19-118, "Authorization for Adult Supervision of a Minor," and have the form notarized by a Notary Public. The custodial parent or legal guardian must request this form through the CVC or Inspector General's Office. The Form 19-118 must be brought to the institution by the authorized adult and provided to the officer assigned to the entrance of the institution each time the child and authorized adult visit in order to be allowed admission into the institution.

6. How many people can visit an inmate at one time?

The number of visitors allowed may be limited because of the size of the visiting room, or for safety and security reasons. All approved visitors desiring to visit with the same inmate on the same day must enter the institution at the same time in order to visit with the inmate (but may depart at different times). In addition, the number of visitors for inmates in higher security levels, infirmaries, or community hospitals will be limited for security reasons. If you have questions about how many visitors will be allowed, you should call the respective institution.

7. What is the dress code for visiting?

The following requirements for visitors apply to all institutions and will be strictly enforced: (Should any Officer or SCDC employee have any doubt as to whether a visitor is appropriately dressed, s/he will contact the Duty Warden (or designee if the Duty Warden is not present in the institution) who will come to the entrance area and make the final decision.)
Should a decision be made that a visitor is inappropriately dressed, the visitor will be denied admission to the institution.
Shirts and shoes are mandatory.
Clothing that exposes an undue amount of flesh (e.g., exposing chest, back, thighs, or midsections) is prohibited. Halter tops, underwear-type tee-shirts, tank tops, fish net shirts, or any type of shirt or pants made with see-through fabric are NOT allowed to be worn by any visitor (male or female). Sleeveless shirts WILL NOT be allowed.
Visitors may wear Bermuda-length shorts provided they are not more than three (3") inches above the top of the kneecap.
At institutions where the use of khaki inmate uniforms has been fully implemented, all visitors may wear blue jeans/shorts, khaki pants/shorts, or other color denim jeans/shorts.
At institutions that continue to utilize blue-jean denim inmate uniforms (shock units), visitors will be prohibited from wearing blue jeans/shorts or blue denim pants/shorts. Denim jeans/shorts other than the color blue will be allowed.
Women and girls may wear dresses or skirts. However, no sleeveless dresses will be allowed. If a dress or skirt is considered too short or if there is a slit (no higher than three [3"] inches above the top of the knee), or is considered otherwise inappropriate by an officer, the officer will be required to contact the Duty Warden (or designee if the Duty Warden is not present in the institution) who will be responsible for coming to the entrance area for a decision as to whether the visitor will be allowed to visit. The decision of the Duty Warden/designee is final.
Any shirt or other article of clothing with a picture or language that may be considered profane or offensive by current public and/or SCDC standards will not be allowed. In such cases, the officer will contact the Duty Warden (or designee if the Duty Warden is not present in the institution) who will be responsible for coming to the entrance area for a decision as to whether the visitor will be allowed to visit. The decision of the Duty Warden/designee is final.
Clothing designed or intended to be tightly worn, to excessively accent the body, e.g., spandex, tights, leggings, tank tops, etc., is prohibited.
Hair pieces and any hair accessories are subject to search.
No jewelry except wedding ring, one (1) pair of earrings, one (1) religious medallion on a necklace or chain, one (1) wristwatch, and a medical alert bracelet.


sending money to an inmate

The South Carolina Department of Corrections operates a cashless system for inmates. This means that incarcerated individuals are not allowed to have U.S. currency. Possession of money is a violation of Agency policy and disciplinary action is taken against any inmate found to have money.

NOTE: Effective July 1st, 2013, JPay will be the exclusive money transfer provider for SCDC. Friends and family of offenders can use JPay's convenient payment services to send money to their loved ones.

Credit, Debit, Green Dot cards, etc.
Inmates are prohibited from possessing credit cards, debit cards, Green Dot cards or numbers, or any other type of similar financial instrument. Inmates found in possession of such items will be charged administratively and could face significant sanctions. Family members/friends should refrain from providing inmates with these items.

However, every inmate in the Department of Corrections has a Cooper Trust Fund Account that allows him/her to make purchases in the institution. The back of the inmate's identification card has a magnetic strip that allows the ID card to function as a debit card to that inmate's Cooper Trust Fund Account. When the inmate desires to purchase items in the institution, his ID card is "swiped" and the purchase is allowed if there are sufficient funds in the inmate's account to pay for the desired items.

How to Send Money Orders to an Inmate:
Family members and friends can make deposits into an inmate's Cooper Trust Fund account through JPay. Effective July 1st, all money orders must be sent with a deposit slip to JPay, P.O. Box 260177, Pembroke Pines, FL 33026. Money orders sent to the DOC or individual facility will be returned. All funds will be available to the offender within three business days of being received at the lockbox. All money orders must be made payable to JPay.
Money order deposit slip available in English here.
Hoja de Deposito para Giros Bancarios disponible en Espanol aqui.

How to Send Money Electronically:
1-Click Payments with

There are several fast, easy and convenient ways to send money to an inmate in South Carolina. JPay offers next-day deposits online, over the phone, at and MoneyGram locations.
Make a Payment Now!

Next-Day Deposits
To send money online with a credit or debit card, click here. It's the quickest and easiest way to get your loved ones the funds they need.
Mobile App
Download our mobile app and send money wherever you happen to be! You can download the free app for Android devices here and for iPhone and iPad here.
Call Us
You can send money by phone using your credit or debit card. Call (800) 574-5729 to speak with a live agent 24/7.
Walk-In Cash
To make a cash deposit, visit any MoneyGram agent location (including all Walmarts) and use receive code 3569. Click here to learn more, and to get a list of nearby MoneyGram locations.
Amount Online Phone Money Order Walk-in
$0.01-$20.00 $3.95 $4.95 $0.00 $4.95
$20.01-$100.00 $6.95 $7.95 $0.00 $4.95
$100.01-$200.00 $8.95 $9.95 $0.00 $4.95
$200.01-$300.00 $10.95 $11.95 $0.00 $4.95



No time limit unless space availability is limited.


Please be respectful (Terms of Service Rules)


  1. May 12, 2014 at 12:05 am #

    my brother is an inmate, my mother wants to put money on his books through paypal, but she needs a recieving code and account number? what are these and where would she find them?

    • PrisonPath May 12, 2014 at 4:03 pm #

      HI CANDY,


  2. Ric May 21, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

    Since this weekend is Memorial Day weekend, will visitors be allowed ?

    • PrisonPath May 22, 2014 at 1:12 am #

      Hi Ric,

      Visitation hours can change during the holidays. We recommend calling the prison directly to confirm the holiday visitation schedule.

      • susan booker May 10, 2019 at 4:46 pm #

        i been calling and calling my daughter in law also and can get anyone to answer. i want to come see m y son jeffery booker i am handicap in a wheelchair and want to come tomorrow may 11th2018 when is visitation for him on tomorrow

  3. Annette November 13, 2016 at 8:28 pm #

    my daughter moved since she was approved to visit and has her address changed on her license what dose she need to do to change her address so she can go back to see her brother.

  4. PrisonPath November 13, 2016 at 8:46 pm #

    Hi Annette,

    Your daughter should not have a problem, since her driver’s license is a photo I.D. If she wants to be certain, she should contact directly the facility.

  5. Bettie Scott March 8, 2019 at 1:45 am #

    Are walkers or wheel chairs allowed…..

Leave a Reply

Connect with Facebook


Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes